With concealed carry becoming law back on July 9th 2013, there are things that you can do now to prepare yourself for when the application process opens because once the gates open, you’ll be in line with thousands of others looking to get their permits as well.
We wish that we could tell you that applications for concealed carry permits are available, but unfortunately they won’t be until January 5th 2014. Keep an eye on the Illinois State Police Web Site for updates.
Here are the requirements that we know of:
License Cost: $150 for a 5-year permit; $300 for out-of-state residents
- Firearm safety
- The basic principles of marksmanship
- Care, cleaning, loading, and unloading of a concealable firearm
- All applicable state and federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a firearm
- Instruction on the appropriate and lawful interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm.
All applicants must pass a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
- A minimum of 30 rounds
- 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards, and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the ISP.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a valid FOID card (if an Illinois resident) or be eligible for a FOID card if a non-resident.
- Have not been convicted or found guilty in Illinois or any other state of:
- A misdemeanor involving the use or threat of physical force or violence to any person within the last 5 years
- 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, within the last 5 years
- Not be the subject of a pending arrest warrant, prosecution, or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification
- Not have been in residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the last 5 years
- Submit an appropriately completed Concealed Carry License application
- Successfully complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction.
The Illinios State Police say that beginning September 7th 2013, they will begin approval of certified firearms instructors and firearm training courses. A registry of approved instructors and courses will be available on the ISP webpage. There are currently no approved instructors or courses.
New concealed carry licenses will be issued 90 days after a qualified application is submitted; State Police have 30 days to file an objection to any application.
For more information, please visit the Illinois State Police FAQ page located here.
Source: Illinois State Police Web Site – Concealed Carry FAQs (http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm)