LAS VEGAS, NEVADA — While checking out the Bellagio fountains, we decided to go for a walk down the street to browse the strip. About an hour after we left the front of the Bellagio, a man with a gun started pointing it indiscriminately at passing tourists.
In the video below, you can hear the sound of two gunshots going off.
— Jill Honken (@JillHonken) January 23, 2016
Even if we had been there, we were disarmed as soon as we stepped foot inside the State of Nevada. We would have had to run and take cover, because that’s exactly what stops an active shooter (sarcasm). They accept neither my NY or FL permit, rendering them useless on this trip. I’d have had a knife on me, but TSA wouldn’t let me fly with it. You’re on your own.
In a later press briefing on the scene, Metro Capt. Matt McCarthy said at least two people were grazed by bullets during the shooting. The suspect was being booked into the Clark County Detention Center “on numerous charges.”
While on the strip, locals began hearing chatter and when we asked, they were told an officer had been shot by the suspect. Once more details came out, it seems the suspect was hit by a responding officer instead. Two tourists were also said to have been grazed by bullets, supposedly fired from the suspect’s firearm.
A large portion of the strip was closed during the incident, as well as pedestrian crosswalks and bridges. For us personally, we ordered a Lyft that took us far off the strip and around so that we could get back to our hotel.
To make things even more confusing, producers were shooting new footage for the latest Jason Bourne movie that week (which we got to watch briefly the night before), and some immediately believed it to be part of the movie, although no scenes for the movie were being filmed Friday night.
This is one of thousands of yearly incidents that help strengthen concealed carry permit reciprocity across the Country. After all if we are traveling, we want to be prepared just as we are at home. Makes sense to me. How about you?