CHICAGO, ILLINOIS — Two people are in police custody after 13 people were shot at a memorial event for 22-year-old Lonell Irvin, who was shot and killed by an armed citizen in April after police say he attempted a carjacking.
Our hearts are with the 13 individuals whose lives were significantly harmed after gunmen opened fire at a memorial gathering last night.— Mayor Lori Lightfoot (@chicagosmayor) December 22, 2019
Police were first alerted to the shooting based on technology in the area called ShotSpotter, which sends a signal to police when it detects a firearm discharge.
Chicago Police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller gave an update Sunday morning.
According to Waller, shots were initially fired inside a residence stemming from a dispute when people started to filter outside into the streets.
Once people were outside, police said a person who was inside of the residence also started shooting at people.
“This is an isolated incident that stemmed from inside that party and flowed onto the street,” Waller said. “Shots were fired inside, everyone started to leave, and that’s when shots were fired outside.”
According to Waller, seven people were transported with gunshot wounds from the scene and six others transported themselves.via abc7chicago.com
The victims ranged in age from 16 to 48-years-old.
This weekend in Chicago, so far, 35 people have been shot.
Police are not calling this particular incident gang-related, and stated that it was an isolated occurrence.
The memorial set up by Irvin’s family, to grieve their loss, has the entire situation even more tainted than it was before.
The 22-year-old was shot and killed in April after police say he targeted a 41-year-old driver, in an attempt to steal his vehicle. During the incident, the driver was able to retrieve his firearm and shoot Irvin, who was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
No charges were filed against the armed citizen, as police determined that his actions were done in self-defense.