UPDATE: Sources now say that two lives were lost, and not four as previously reported.
JACKSONVILLE, FL — Four people are dead in the aftermath of a shooting in Jacksonville, Florida, during a Madden video game tournament, ABC 7 reports.
The sanctioned event is still awaiting a great deal of details, but we do know that at least four are dead and that nine are wounded — and the gunman took his own life, the last victim of his own rampage.
We are aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorities to gather facts at this stage.
— Electronic Arts (@EA) August 26, 2018
According to ABC 7:
Four people were killed and several more injured in a shooting at a downtown Jacksonville restaurant that was hosting a video game tournament, a source told the Associated Press.
The suspect, described only as a white male, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the source added. Sheriff Mike Williams said authorities are still working to determine the suspect’s identity. Authorities have not yet released an official number of fatalities.
Local hospitals said they received nine injured patients in connection with the shooting: Memorial Hospital received three patients, all of whom are stable. UF Health Jacksonville received an additional six patients; one in serious and five in good condition, all ranging in age from 20 to 35.
CNN was able to snag the Founder and CEO of CompLexity Gaming, who had a gamer at the event who was shot in the thumb, but is reportedly going to be OK. He hopes this tragedy will lead to better security at events of this nature.
“To have someone walk into an event like this that’s all about good sportsmanship and teamwork and just good vibes, and do something like this, it’s heartbreaking,” he said according to CNN. “I think the eSports industry as a whole is going to have to step back and take a look at further strengthening our security.”
We will keep you updated as developments unfold.